Kerswell Kids Sessional Preschool - Giving Families a Flexible Approach to Early Education Funding


What is free early education for three and four year olds?

  • Income support
  • Has a current statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or an Education, Health and Care Plan
  • Receives Disability Living Allowance
  • Has left care through special guardianship, an adoption or residence order
  • -based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit, provided you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs
  • Working Tax Credit and earning less than £16,190 a year
  • Universal Credit
When is my child eligible?
Two morning sessions 9:00am to 12:00pm + three afternoons 12:00pm to 3:00pm = 3 hrs x 5 sessions = 15hTwo breakfast sessions 7:30am to 9:00am + two morning sessions 9:00am to 12:00pm + two afternoon sessions 12:00pm to 3:00pm = 1.5hrs x 2 + 3hrs x 4 = 15hrs
·         Four breakfast sessions 7:30am to 9:00am + four morning sessions 9:00am to 12:00pm + four afternoon sessions = 1.5hrs x 4 sessions + 3hrs x 8 sessions = 30hrs
  • from 1 September 2017, the government will increase free childcare to 30 hours a week for eligible working parents.
  • 30 hours free childcare can be taken up to 38 weeks a year, but it is possible to stretch your entitlement by taking fewer hours over more weeks of the year.
  • Parents eligible for 30 hours of free childcare will also be the first who can apply for Tax-Free Childcare scheme 2017 (see below).
To be eligible, you (and your partner if you have one), must either:
·         or each expect to earn at least £111 a week or work more than 16 hours at the National Minimum Wage. This means you don't have to actually work 16 hours a week but earn at least the equivalent of these wage rates.
*Work includes employed and self-employed persons.
  • must live in England
  • expect to have an income of less than £100,000 each a year
  • if unemployed, you and your partner must become employed within 14 days of applying
  • if your child is in reception at school, you can't get free childcare. Once your child is of compulsory
  • school age, they're no longer eligible
Circumstances where you may still be eligible
  • taking paid time off work, such as maternity leave, paternity leave or sick leave
  • temporarily away from England for a period of up to 6 months, such as if you're in the military (on duty)
  • already getting Universal Credit or tax credits
  • contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit or long-term Incapacity Benefit
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • National Insurance credits because of incapacity or limited capability for work
  • you've been assessed as having limited capability for work for Universal Credit purpose 
How do I Apply for my Free Childcare?
As a working parent you are eligible for tax free childcare (see below) and 30 hours free childcare, to express your interest in both schemes go to the Government website and complete the questionnaire.
   What is Tax-Free Childcare?
For every £8 a parent pays in, the government will pay in an extra £2. Parents can receive up to £2,000 per child, per year, towards their childcare costs, or £4,000 for disabled children, separate from funded entitlements. The offer will be available for children up to the age of 12, or 17 for children who are disabled.
  • pre-schools and day nurseries
  • registered childminders
  • school based care (that is paid for, such as after-school clubs)
Parents can't claim Tax-Free Childcare at the same time as claiming tax credits, Universal Credit or childcare vouchers. Childcare providers can receive payments from both Tax-Free Childcare and childcare vouchers.            
Is there any other childcare funding?
The government provides a childcare you to get an estimate of how much funding you could get to help pay for approved childcare. As well as Tax-Free childcare it also calculates if you might be eligible for up to 15 and 30 hours free childcare, Tax Credits, Universal Credits, Childcare Vouchers or help whilst you study. Tax-Free Childcare will eventually replace Childcare Vouchers. The government provide a better off so you can work out if you're better off with Childcare Vouchers or Tax-Free Childcare (you can't claim both).
What happens when my child starts school?

Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint