The Preschool is registered with Ofsted and we are members of the Pre-School Learning Alliance. There is always an adult ratio in the Playgroup of one adult to eight pre-school children (3 to 5 year olds) and one adult to four children aged 2 years. This is occasionally augmented by parents and students.
Our Mission Statement
Kerswell Kids is a community provision whose aim is to provide affordable sessional daycare for children aged 2 to 4 years of families living in the local area.
Our ethos is to offer children of all abilities, cultures and religions the opportunity to develop and grow in a secure environment that makes the child and the parent/carer feel happy and safe.
Our Aims and Objectives
- To create a stimulating, caring and safe environment for ALL children in our care.
- To create a developmentally appropriate curriculum to meet the needs of each individual child.
- To take account of the children's needs arising from race, culture, language and religion and to actively promote the development of positive self image within the children.
- To create a non-sexist atmosphere by introducing appropriate toys, books and games to encourage equal development of both sexes.
- To eliminate racism throughout its whole structure by (a) welcoming ethnic minority contributions to the policies and practice of the Playgroup. (b) Provide positive images of different ethnic minorities and cultures using posters, toys, food, clothing and exploring festivals.
- To work in partnership with parents, carers and other professionals and to have an involvement with the local community.
- To develop and maintain strong links with other agencies and for them to recognise our professionalism.
- For Keyworkers to work on a daily 1:4 ratio with a group of children, monitoring their progress through learning journeys and termly reviews.
- To provide places for special needs children providing staff that are trained to give the child and parent/main carer support.
- To encourage parents/carers to become involved with the Playgroup activities and events.
- To support staff through their continuing professional development, enabling them to develop skills and confidence.
- To work with the local authority to provide free places for all 3 & 4 year olds and the most needy 2 year olds.
7.30am Breakfast Session Opens
8.30am Children are Walked to School
9.00am (12.00pm) Preschool Opens/Outdoor Area Open
9.30am (12.35pm) Registration & Welcome
The Weather Birthdays Greeting Songs
9.45am (12.45pm) Freeplay (some of the available activities)
Playdough Table Role Play/Dressing up
Construction Home Corner
Small World Games & Puzzles
Art & Crafts Graphics Table
Free Painting ICT
9.45am (12.45pm) Outdoor Play (available activities)
Sand & Water Play Gardening
Playhouse Climbing Frame
11.00am (2.00pm) Snackbar Opens
11.30am (2.30pm) Tidy Up Time
11.45pm (2.45pm) Group Story/Songs
11.55pm (2.55pm) Coats (hand out work, paintings etc.)
12.00pm (3.00pm) Hometime
12.00pm Afternoon session beginnings (timetable as above)
3:00pm Late session begins (available for working parents)
We encourage the children to help themselves to water throughout the session. To ensure good hygiene children are asked to bring their own labelled drinking bottle/beaker which is kept on the drinks table and kept filled. The children sit in groups for snacktime. Milk, water and a selection of fruit is available.